Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online4

jb510
jb510
lilstinkylynx
lilstinkylynx
Phil_OPastry
Phil_OPastry
+1 Guest
The Fantasy Basketball Cafe Response Team is coming back for the rest of the season. If you are interested in helping our community grow by interacting with our members, providing quality feedback and getting more involved, direct message "DailyFantasyCafe" for details.

2015 - 2016 Draft Discussion

1235»

Comments

• Phil_OPastryPhil_OPastry Member, League - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 347

Alright guys here is a bit of analysis to satiate you. I'll do my best to avoid including my picks in the best and worst - and simply provide some reasoning as to "why them".

Round 1.

Tough round to do the positive objectively here, as I am really high on each of my guys. (which I'll get in to).
    I'll give the positive to @dasein for grabbing Mirotic. I love this kid and have him in all my dynasty leagues because the kid can flat out play and will be a star sooner than later, filling the cats across the board.

For the worst I'll go with @sald0gg for drafting Russell. Russell is 2 years away from being much of anything IMO. He is slow and it will take him years to learn to be crafty with faster players around him - expect a similar learning curve as Harden had - perhaps slower. The kid's court vision is great, it's just going to take him a while to figure it out and put everything together.

My picks.
    Reggie Jackson - best point guard on the board and first one on my team. I left him off my team for keepers with the intent of drafting him second overall. He killed it with Drummond and could very well be a nightly triple double threat.
    Payton - second best point guard on the board IMO and damn did I need them! With the guys on my team who I kept from last season, turnovers are already an issue - Payton however makes me more than relevant in assists and tops or close to it in steals. Good FG% to boot. He was top 60 over the last few months of the season and improved across the board including free throws - plus he doesn't really shoot enough that is can sink a team.
    Gallo - best player on the board. Finished top 10 post all-star break and absolutely killed it. Looks healthy, finally and I have no problem riding his offense much like Denver will be doing all season.

Round 2.
    I'll give the nod to @lilstinkylynx for grabbing Jones. I really wanted him to fall just a few more spots. ;) He'll produce really well as a complimentary piece. All bets are off after the trade deadline when Houston more than likely trade him to a team willing to pay him insane coin in free agency. A better fantasy player than he is a basketball player.

Negative, I'll go with @sald0gg with Derrick Rose. The guy can't stay healthy (fractured face now!) and when healthy turns the ball over at a prolific rate, can't shoot and is now in love with a 3 point shot he can't drain with regularity. I think Rose could have been had later in the draft.

My picks... Isaiah Thomas - yes, another point guard! I'm not kidding, I really, really needed them. Was a tough call, but he is THE MAN in Boston and probably the only guy worth owning. He'll get his and more importantly he'll help rescue me at the free throw line and get assists and 3's. Dirk... I think he has one more good season in him and I expect him and Deron Williams to pick and roll/pick and pop teams to death... and again ft%. I think both these guys will out perform their 76th and 79th draft position easily.

• lilstinkylynxlilstinkylynx Member, Commish - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 437
    edited October 2015

@Phil_OPastry said:
    Alright guys here is a bit of analysis to satiate you. I'll do my best to avoid including my picks in the best and worst - and simply provide some reasoning as to "why them".

Round 1.

Tough round to do the positive objectively here, as I am really high on each of my guys. (which I'll get in to).
    I'll give the positive to dasein for grabbing Mirotic. I love this kid and have him in all my dynasty leagues because the kid can flat out play and will be a star sooner than later, filling the cats across the board.

For the worst I'll go with sald0gg for drafting Russell. Russell is 2 years away from being much of anything IMO. He is slow and it will take him years to learn to be crafty with faster players around him - expect a similar learning curve as Harden had - perhaps slower. The kid's court vision is great, it's just going to take him a while to figure it out and put everything together.

My picks.
    Reggie Jackson - best point guard on the board and first one on my team. I left him off my team for keepers with the intent of drafting him second overall. He killed it with Drummond and could very well be a nightly triple double threat.
    Payton - second best point guard on the board IMO and damn did I need them! With the guys on my team who I kept from last season, turnovers are already an issue - Payton however makes me more than relevant in assists and tops or close to it in steals. Good FG% to boot. He was top 60 over the last few months of the season and improved across the board including free throws - plus he doesn't really shoot enough that it can sink a team.
    Gallo - best player on the board. Finished top 10 post all-star break and absolutely killed it. Looks healthy, finally and I have no problem riding his offense much like Denver will be doing all season.

Ummm, my thoughts exactly. Still upset you nabbed Gallo one pick before me.

Round 3
    The best @ddomrow for grabbing MCW. The kid improved a lot across the board under Jason Kidd's tutelage. I expect his shooting to improve and for him to contribute across the board.

The negative is a tie between @wesbaedke and @jasonuoft for drafting Matthews and Parker respectively. I understand why they were drafted, however, both are coming off major injuries and will be on minute restrictions. I can think of only one player in the history of the NBA who suffered a torn Achilles and didn't see a massive statistical drop-off... Dominique Wilkins. Every other player has never been the same. As for Parker, he is not joining a better front court than last season and really only offers points, rebounds and shooting percentage. I get the upside of that pick though.

My picks... Thad Young and Brook Lopez. I'll call this my "porridge round" as both players are boring and safe. I think Lopez will (hopefully) return to his top 40 form of Portland a few season back. He's the only true center the Knicks have and should provide steady percentages, rebounds and blocks and simply not hurt any where. Thad simply seemed like the best player available so I snagged him.

@Phil_OPastry said:
    Round 3
    The best ddomrow for grabbing MCW. The kid improved a lot across the board under Jason Kidd's tutelage. I expect his shooting to improve and for him to contribute across the board.

The negative is a tie between wesbaedke and jasonuoft for drafting Matthews and Parker respectively. I understand why they were drafted, however, both are coming off major injuries and will be on minute restrictions. I can think of only one player in the history of the NBA who suffered a torn Achilles and didn't see a massive statistical drop-off... Dominique Wilkins. Every other player has never been the same. As for Parker, he is not joining a better front court than last season and really only offers points, rebounds and shooting percentage. I get the upside of that pick though.

My picks... Thad Young and Brook Lopez. I'll call this my "porridge round" as both players are boring and safe. I think Lopez will (hopefully) return to his top 40 form of Portland a few season back. He's the only true center the Knicks have and should provide steady percentages, rebounds and blocks and simply not hurt any where. Thad simply seemed like the best player available so I snagged him.

Still shooting for the better Lopez huh. You know, I don't mind moving him.

@lilstinkylynx said:
    Still shooting for the better Lopez huh. You know, I don't mind moving him.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Force of habit. I mean Robin, to your twin's Batman. :P

Round 4.
    I'll give a rare tip of the hat to @baller7037 for grabbing Ryan Anderson. By all accounts Ryno is healthy again and ready to kick ass. I find that Anderson has outstanding seasons intermittently with poor ones - it's his turn for a good one and I think that Baller may have just got himself a top 40 (maybe even better) performer.

The negative pick I'll give to @wesbaedke for Mudiay. First, let me say - I love the kid and truly think in a few years he will be a top 3 talent from this draft class. If I was rebuilding I would have probably drafted him even sooner... But, as a pick viewed in isolation this season I think he's going to be a HUGE detriment. He can't shoot from anywhere and will be an absolute turnover machine and he'll be giving minutes and opportunity to sink any team with these flaws. His assists and play-making should be great though.

Now on to my pick... Nurkic. I needed rebounds and blocks, This kid can play and I think will benefit from Mike Malone coaching more than anyone else on the team. He is a beast. I had him last season and really wanted to get him this year. He had a portion of the season before hurting himself where he just went bonkers. I'm hoping for more of that this year.

@Phil_OPastry said:
    Round 4.
    I'll give a rare tip of the hat to baller7037 for grabbing Ryan Anderson. By all accounts Ryno is healthy again and ready to kick ass. I find that Anderson has outstanding seasons intermittently with poor ones - it's his turn for a good one and I think that Baller may have just got himself a top 40 (maybe even better) performer.

Emphasize that word 'RARE.' But all joking aside. @baller7037 really did good here. My first response to him when he selected Ryno was great job. Followed by myself thinking in my head - did I really say good job to Baller.

Any more analysis coming guys??

@Phil_OPastry said:
    Any more analysis coming guys??

Waiting on the rest of yours. LOL

• jasonuoftjasonuoft Member, League - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 107

Let's continue brief writeup
    Round 4
    Best - Jusuf Nurkic @Phil_OPastry, edging out Ryan Anderson @baller7037 due to keeper league. His 36 mins stats last year is north of 14pts 12 rebs 1.6 stls 2.2 blks, at 21 year old still a lot of upside. Not saying he will be able to play close to 36mins soon cuz of foul trouble. More like 28 mins.
    Worst - Arron Afflalo @sald0gg . Very empty stat lines. Never averaged more than 0.6 steals a game with starter mins? That leaves a big hole for a balanced lineup.
    My pick - Enes Kanter. I am regretting the pick already as he lacks defensive stats. Got a little sucked in by his huge contract. Also looking for some easy points as points was what hurt me last year. However his stats probably end up hurting me more than helping, unless he can improve his defensive stats. There is always hope right?

Round 5
    Best - I am sorry I have to give this to myself for CJ Mccolum. Breakout is unavoidable and he could end up being the steal of most drafts early on. No more though as he is going as high as round 5 lately. Top 50 finish is not our of question, with upside.
    Worst - Hard to pick a worst pick as many could be sleepers and the others are coming back stars. How about I say Luol Deng is the most boring pick here.
    My pick - Joe Johnson was just to round out the team and stats. Boring name, but he is actually a safe bet to get 15pts 4rebs 4ast 1.5 3s. With Deron Williams gone he may need to step a tat. Also like his durability.

Round 6
    Best - Meyers Leonard @boyet401. He provides very rare combo of great percentages,3s and acceptable defensive stats. Mins won't be too high though with Ed David and Vonleh at the same position limiting his counting stats ceiling this season.
    Worst - again I am reluctant to name a worst pick. But will MKG finally be playable in fantasy league?
    My picks - I am quite excited to get Otto Porter as he does a bit of everything, just my type of guy. PJ Tucker is similar but a bit lower ceiling and more competition. Porzingis could develop into a franchise player. Will I have the patience to keep him?

I will conclude my writeup here as the rest of the picks are crabshots anyway lol? I am sure a couple will turn out as steals.
    Let the season begin!

@jasonuoft said:
    I will conclude my writeup here as the rest of the picks are crabshots anyway lol? I am sure a couple will turn out as steals.
    Let the season begin!

Enjoyed the read buddy and thanks for the write ups. Can't wait for the season to start.

This discussion has been closed.