Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

The Fantasy Basketball Cafe Response Team is coming back for the rest of the season. If you are interested in helping our community grow by interacting with our members, providing quality feedback and getting more involved, direct message "DailyFantasyCafe" for details.

2015 - 2016 Draft Discussion

Comments

• lilstinkylynxlilstinkylynx Member, Commish - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 366

@boyet401 said:
    so happy to see Leonard still there when my turn came, i had to make my pick while still on the road (with hazard lights on) :)

Agreed. Meyers is a very sexy pick. Had my eye on him to and was hoping someone would nab him ahead of me so I wouldn't feel bad not nabbing him. At the end of the day, I just had to go with Lavine. Beyond the reasons I stated for Martin (who I believe will be moved), Lavine does have all the makings of a starter caliber player who can produce in real life and fantasy. I was just too tempted by his ft% and attempts during his time as a starter and hope he can capture some of that magic come post all star break.

@dasein said:
    Is it just me or has this draft slowed down a lot?

Where you at? Lol

• daseindasein Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 937

@lilstinkylynx said:
    Where you at? Lol

Was in the air.

• boyet401boyet401 Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Philippine All-Star League, League - Philippine All-Star League Posts: 262

Drafted JR Smith for the 3s. Late in the draft I think he's worth it.

• daseindasein Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 937

@boyet401 said:
    Drafted JR Smith for the 3s. Late in the draft I think he's worth it.

Came down to Smith and DC for me. I went for higher ceiling.

• jasonuoftjasonuoft Member, League - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 80

Can't believe you took schnoder! was gonna take him later to handcuff Teague.
    You feel Schnoder will play more minutes this year lynx?

• Phil_OPastryPhil_OPastry Member, League - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 319

I can't believe he took Bjelica. Was hoping to grab him at 8-11. Jerk!

Yes I do but not sure how that will translate fantasy wise. He needs to cut his TO more to take that leap. He reminds me of Tony Parker when he first started. Needs to learn to control his speed and let the game slow down a bit for him. With that said, I drafted more on the premise that a Teague injury and a depleted back court means yumminess for me.

@Phil_OPastry said:

Lol. The hype was strong with this one.

@Phil_OPastry said:

Don't worry, he'll have dropped him within three weeks. :p

@dasein said:
    Don't worry, he'll have dropped him within three weeks. :p

Extremely likely. Lol

@DaRuhl Nice pick man. I see decent production. Thought he make it back under the radar to my 10th pick. I also like @ddomrow's pick. Definite opportunity in the beginning. Might become a staple if he plays well.

• DaRuhlDaRuhl Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 422

Thanks. I think he has a good shot to outperform his draft spot. No excitement though!

• ddomrowddomrow Member, League - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 45

That's my smokey pick, fingers crossed.

@DaRuhl said:
    Thanks. I think he has a good shot to outperform his draft spot. No excitement though!

He fits a need. Doesn't have to be sexy. Will easily outperform his draft position pre all star break. Post, who knows what they do. He provides assists which I know is a hard stat to find right now.

• DaRuhlDaRuhl Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 422

Yep - much of my thoughts as well. Nice combo of AST and REB which I could use, not too much value from FG% / TO which I'm pretty strong in, IMO...

Ahh, screw it. Let's see if the old Spaniard has anything left in the tank. Way I see it, if Calderon's tank is empty there will be plenty of breakout depth on the waiver wire... but with point guards being a golden of goose of sorts I'll be open to offers should he pan out.

@Phil_OPastry said:
    Ahh, screw it. Let's see if the old Spaniard has anything left in the tank. Way I see it, if Calderon's tank is empty there will be plenty of breakout depth on the waiver wire... but with point guards being a golden of goose of sorts I'll be open to offers should he pan out.

Wait... Two Knicks in a row being drafted. That's crazy talk. Hold on, two boring old reliable kind of Knicks on one roster. MIND F-IN BLOWN.

• TekTek Member, League - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 64
    edited September 2015

Handcuff action engage! No but seriously at this stage of the draft, Mo Williams offers a bunch of value.
    Mo can play both guard positions, Kyrie is expected to play less Mins for the 1st half of the season and Shumpert is a good bet to miss time during the season with an injury.
    I expect Williams’ minutes to be high enough to allow him to flirt with top-100 value.

@lilstinkylynx said:
    Wait... Two Knicks in a row being drafted. That's crazy talk. Hold on, two boring old reliable kind of Knicks on one roster. MIND F-IN BLOWN.

And to think i usually avoid Knicks like herpes. I just look at calderon over the last 5 years minus this past one and think he could be a steal. Hell, I drafted him in the first round 2 years ago and immediately got offers. Worse case I send him to the wood pile and draft whoever is breaking out.

Round Seven Analysis

Best Pick - @sald0gg for his Henson Pick. I think if given consistent minutes and the starting center gig for the season, he will pay big dividends as we have seen from his per 36 numbers in the past. Really, he has that crazy block potential and there is a good chance he fits well next to Monroe. He should have that opportunity to start the season as they ease back Jabari and play Monroe at the 4. If he is able to run with it and get into Kidd's good graces (both big IFs), this may turn out to be a very huge pick.

Worst Pick - This pick goes to me for Nemanja Bjelica. Most likely player to be dropped from those picked in this round. Not much else to say here except that I'm a sucker for HYPE. LOL. Honestly though, I don't know where his minutes will come from. With that said, he may be a better fit next to TOWNs than Dieng.

Honorable Mention (Negative) - This pick goes to @tonym. Among the two bigs fromt he Celtics that were picked this round, I think Lee is the worse of the two. Not sure really how taht rotation shakes out to be honest and Lee needs the minutes to produce numbers that are usable.

Honorable Mention (Positive) - This one goes to @DaRuhl Wright. Similar to my logic above for @sald0gg's pick. The only difference is that we have established Wright is a 20-25 minute guy at best. Henson IMO has more upside to be able to handle more minutes.

No round 5 or 6 analysis? LOL

I'll be doing my analysis on the whole draft afterwards for posterity sake.

@Phil_OPastry said:
    No round 5 or 6 analysis? LOL

I'll be doing my analysis on the whole draft afterwards for posterity sake.

I am only doing the odd. I did my 5th round before already. LOL

Gonna have to disagree on Henson. Not the part about him having potential- those per36s are great. But I see him as a terrible fit with Monroe. Henson is a guy whose range is the length of his arm, and Monroe is also best operating around the basket. Guess who's going to lose out? I don't see his roll on this team as anything more than backing up Monroe unfortunately. My guess is he'll be lucky to crack 20mins on most nights.

Also on Wright. Yes he's a 20-25mpg guy, but he doesn't need more than that to put up top 100 value. Yes, most of that value is in low TOs so he's a situational play but I don't see anything wrong with taking a top 100 bench guy at this point.

@dasein said:
    Gonna have to disagree on Henson. Not the part about him having potential- those per36s are great. But I see him as a terrible fit with Monroe. Henson is a guy whose range is the length of his arm, and Monroe is also best operating around the basket. Guess who's going to lose out? I don't see his roll on this team as anything more than backing up Monroe unfortunately. My guess is he'll be lucky to crack 20mins on most nights.

Also on Wright. Yes he's a 20-25mpg guy, but he doesn't need more than that to put up top 100 value. Yes, most of that value is in low TOs so he's a situational play but I don't see anything wrong with taking a top 100 bench guy at this point.

Well, Wright was a positive. You basically know what you'll get from. Not much upside but his numbers are great as is as you stated already in the minutes he played.

Monroe isn't the best defensive player and I just feel they need that guy in the middle. I agree with your points though.

Monroe isn't the best defense player, but he's adequate and with all the athletic length on the perimeter I think he'll work just fine on that end. And obviously the difference between Monroe and Henson on offense is night and day.

@dasein said:
    Monroe isn't the best defense player, but he's adequate and with all the athletic length on the perimeter I think he'll work just fine on that end. And obviously the difference between Monroe and Henson on offense is night and day.

Yeah. Night and day might be an understatement. The question is, with all that great perimeter defense where every player seems to be able to at least keep the player ahead of them, why not want that 5 that needs no usage and can be that last line of defense. I know Monroe needs his space but its not like all the other guys work in the paint anyways. 25 consistent minutes from Henson would be golden IMO, but I'm not sure if he can get it. If he does, easily becomes the best pick this round based on returns.

Agree with both of your analysis on Wright. Only thing I'd add is that neither Gasol nor Randolph is getting any younger, so there is maybe some minutes upside for him based on rest/injury to those two.

Meanwhile, reports now have Jabari back for the start of training camp, so Henson's minutes may not be that much more than Wright for that long.

Just my 2c - obviously both interesting picks!

All - sorry for the delay, was flying and jet-lag crashing. Back among the living and will pick shortly.

Please update your rosters. It would help @wesbaedke enter them into yahoo easier later. Thanks ahead to everyone and @wesbaedke(co-commish) for participating in this league. Get your write ups out as well guys. Lol

Thanks for the reminder, roster updated!

Round Nine Analysis (Had a hard time picking best or worst because it's all a crapshoot at this point but I figure I do each pick with my thoughts and see what feedback comes about.)

9.1 @TekOpp - Alex Len - Love this pick for Tek. Definitely in rebuild mode, Len has shown flashes and there's some nice upside to possibly adding him as a future keeper. There's a lot to like by having Chandler be a mentor to Len. I also see a decrease in minutes good for Len from a long term standpoint for his overall career. A step back definitely for Len from last season but Tek is looking more long term anyways so this pick makes a lot of sense. Best case scenario is Chandler goes down come all star break and Len gets to shine and show how much he's grown.
    9.2 @Tonym [Acquired Via Trade] - Trey Burke - Eh, no long term upside or even this season upside for Burke. We've seen all we need to see from him and there's not much there. Then again, PGs are so thin as this point, might as well take a flier on a possible starter is what I guess Tonym was thinking.
    9.3 @Dasein - Bojan Bogdanovic - My kind of pick. Starting gig is his and that's always nice from a fantasy standpoint. Too streaky for my taste but it's late in the draft, if you find a gem here, kudos to you.
    9.4 @Boyet401 - Andre Iguodala - Further cut in playtime unless injury forces Kerr's hand and he has to play Iggy. I assume Iggy will dropped sooner than later.
    9.5 @Baller7037 - Jamal Crawford - The player himself already accepts and has stated he knows his role will be reduced. Too much depth in Clipper land for my liking from a fantasy perspective outside their starters. Seems like a throw away pick from my perspective.
    9.6 @Ddomrow - Rondae Hollis-Jefferson - A roster of old fogeys means he might get some play. Someone's bound to miss time. Lol
    9.7 @DaRuhl - Patrick Beverley - Purely a needs based pick. Beverley should still see plenty of minutes because he's that good a defender and as we all know, Harden and Lawson need help in that department.
    9.8 @Sald0gg - Tristan Thompson - Love is still the man and outside of rebounds, he doesn't provide much else. Then again, he might be playing for a contract if he can come to terms with Cleveland so there's plenty of motivation for the kid to do more.
    9.9 @Wesbaedke - Jordan Hill - Nice upside here. Again, also playing for a contract and he might be a starter. Only bad part is that his name has not popped up much which is never a good sign.
    9.10 @Tonym - Amir Johnson - I dislike Boston outside of Thomas this season. That front court is a mess.
    9.11 @Jasonuoft - Mason Plumlee - Counter productive from a team build standpoint. Should be a great trade commodity to @baller7037 once the season starts.
    9.12 @Baller7037 [Acquired Via Trade] - Justice Winslow - Like this pick a lot. Such a dynamic player. Won't do much this season, but he's in a nice situation to be an impact player later on.

edited September 2015

I can't add players to my roster because they are all currently owned by other teams apparently :)

@dasein said:
    I can't add players to my roster because they are all currently owned by other teams apparently :)

You mean they're all owned by @Phil_OPastry? Lol

Henson's blocks are off set by his horrendous FT%> @lilstinkylynx said:

You mean they're all owned by Phil_OPastry? Lol

Muhahaha

@lilstinkylynx said:
    You mean they're all owned by Phil_OPastry? Lol

Seriously though, I can't. The first three guys I tried to add are currently on other rosters. I stopped trying to add players after that.

• wesbaedkewesbaedke Member, Commish - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 119

Thanks everyone for a smooth draft session. I really enjoyed it. I will get rosters loaded in the next 24-48 hours. Let's keep the discussions going. Good luck to all this season!

Cheers. I'll try to do a write up on each round of the draft this evening. Anyone up for making prognostications on the season?

edited September 2015

@Phil_OPastry will go from a bottom three team to a top three team and will trade George before the all star break.
    @baller7037 will finish in the bottom 4.
    One of the players I drafted will end up in the top 25 in cumulative value.
    Khris Middleton won't crack top 50 in cumulative value.

edited September 2015

I will take the other side on both of the last two!! :smile:

Edit: Since I can't resist biting on the second one a little bit, keep in mind last year he finished #34 in cumulative value on only 30.1 min/gm in his 3rd season at age 23. He also ranked 10th in the league in real plus-minus and signed a max deal over the summer, so there are reasons to think he'll see more minutes this season (he averaged 34.5 min/gm over the last 3 months last season). And his 3pt %age was actually slightly lower than the season before, so no obvious streakiness/luck variable at play. So... while he could fall off, I'd argue the setup looks more likely for him to improve...

• TekTek Member, League - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 64

@Phil_OPastry Where's the write up? Looking forward to a recap.

@Tek said:
    Phil_OPastry Where's the write up? Looking forward to a recap.

It's coming up. Just been really busy with life.

@Tek said:
    Phil_OPastry Where's the write up? Looking forward to a recap.

I'm waiting on it too.

@jasonuoft Where's your write up?

Coming this weekend, hopefully, sorry

• baller7037baller7037 Member, League - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 39

bottom 4 im gunning for last place lol

edited October 2015

I need some fantasy reads already. Lol

@wesbaedke @Phil_OPastry @jasonuoft

Get them done already.

Sorry been too busy lately, here is my 2 cents part one before lynx kicks me out of the league lol
    Round 1
    Best pick - Reggie Jackson by @Phil_OPastry. This is from the viewpoint of both long term potential and immediate production. He may not produce more than someone like Bosh this year, but only at 25 amd we know he can turn into a beast given minutes.
    Worst pick - I give to Elfrid Payton by again @Phil_OPastry . Well when you get to pick so many guys In first couple rounds it's hard to keep up the quality right? (sour grape in memes peaking lol). Terrrible FT% + no 3s + high turnover = avoid to me. Sure he is young and lot of room to grow, but until then.
    My pick - Myles Turner. With my team in sem-rebuild mode, Turner gives me the rook with highest upside in the next few years,anyone not named Towns of course. 78FT%+ 1.8blocks+ 0.6 3s? I am quite excited about this pick. This is very different than my normal drafting style which usually gears towards safe value pick. Let me try something different.

Round 2, it's very hard to call in this round, many comeback stars, and new teams.
    Best - Terrence Jone @lilstinkylynx. Call me biased as I owned him last year and was very high on him, until injuries happen. Blocks plus 3s is just my weakness I guess. Exciting player to own.
    Worst - Okafor @sald0gg. I am bold to call out a budding superstar. But fantasy wise, he is looking like a Zach Randolph with terrible FT% to me so far. Hey it's sald0gg, he may have picked another Durant and I am an idiot again LOL.
    My pick - I don't have a pick this round so Kevin Love better picks it up for me, right @lilstinkylynx ?

Round 3
    Best - Tyreke Evans @boyet401. Great counting stats. And a slight efficiency improvement will put him to elite status. Entering his prime. His was my first target this round.
    Worst - Harrison Barnes @tonym. I owned him last year and he hovers between playable and not all season. It's hard for him to improve stats significantly in Warriors. I just feel there are better talents at this point in the draft.
    My pick - Jabari Parker. My quest for upside with decent immediate production continues. He was the consensus first rookie pick for fantasy. Did the injury drop him this far? Maybe maybe not, I just couldn't pass it up.
    Trades - props to @lilstinkylynx for pulling some fast trades to resolve many early rounds with no pick. Now he has made some solid picks to vault himself into contention again. nicely done bud.

To be continued....

@jasonuoft said:
    Round 2, it's very hard to call in this round, many comeback stars, and new teams.
    Best - Terrence Jone lilstinkylynx. Call me biased as I owned him last year and was very high on him, until injuries happen. Blocks plus 3s is just my weakness I guess. Exciting player to own.
    My pick - I don't have a pick this round so Kevin Love better picks it up for me, right lilstinkylynx ?

Lol. Love should return top 35 value at the least so you made out good buddy. I was all hyped on Terrence last year so I figure I take a flier on him this year. My Draymond for this season?

This discussion has been closed.