Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

The Fantasy Basketball Cafe Response Team is coming back for the rest of the season. If you are interested in helping our community grow by interacting with our members, providing quality feedback and getting more involved, direct message "DailyFantasyCafe" for details.

2015 - 2016 Draft Discussion

Comments

• lilstinkylynxlilstinkylynx Member, Commish - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 366

Also, where you at @Phil_OPastry LOL. @wesbaedke and I have a long wait here.

• wesbaedkewesbaedke Member, Commish - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 119

I will not be drafting Lawson this year. Not a bad gamble at this point in the draft but I struggle to see how he produces next to Harden and handling the ball significantly less. Should be better PG options available in that same range in redraft leagues.

@lilstinkylynx said:
    Also, where you at Phil_OPastry LOL. wesbaedke and I have a long wait here.

Man....No kidding, long wait ahead.

• daseindasein Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 937

I'm unlikely to own Lawson this year. It's not that I wouldn't take him but I'm guessing his name value will cause him to go sooner than I'd want to take him. It's not even certain he's a starter in Houston.

• tonymtonym Member, League - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 43

Want to see how Lawson plays sober with Houston. And Houston has to make changes. Harden can carry them but they need something else to make the next level. Hard to pass up the guy that was third in assists last year while dealing with serious alcohols issues. He might not get that many now, but he's a 27-28 and he might even be an all-star this year if a few things go well...

@tonym said:
    Want to see how Lawson plays sober with Houston. And Houston has to make changes. Harden can carry them but they need something else to make the next level. Hard to pass up the guy that was third in assists last year while dealing with serious alcohols issues. He might not get that many now, but he's a 27-28 and he might even be an all-star this year if a few things go well...

Well, I trust your eye. Somehow you predicted Jimmy last season and we all didn't get the pick. (Lol... I feel silly after reading my write up last season for the first round and then paying a handsome ransom to get Jimmy)

• daseindasein Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 937

my interwebs are telling me phil is online. could a pick be coming?

@dasein said:
    my interwebs are telling me phil is online. could a pick be coming?

@Phil_OPastry is always quick to pick so if there's a wait, it's either he partied too hard this weekend and/or he's working on a trade I assume. I'm sure we will find out soon.

Seeing how my pick doesn't occur till 4.12, I'm learning to be extra patient. At least I get a lot of time to look at where all the managers are going with their teams. Have to find a silver lining somewhere.

rats.

also, partying and trading don't mix.

edited September 2015

@dasein said:
    rats.

also, partying and trading don't mix.

I don't mind when it's in my favor. :D

• Phil_OPastryPhil_OPastry Member, League - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 319

Sorry guys - had a long day yesterday with family. Thanks for the trade inquiries, but as nothing has come to fruition I'll be making my pick.

I can not tell if my pick was a HUGE reach or is okay. I was torn on a few players I really like at this spot, however, I think Thomas may have the chance to really improve from his ADP this season, considering he was top 35 a season or so ago. I like his potential in Boston - in fact, he's probably the only player I like in Boston and feel he'll at worst be a front runner for 6th man. He should help my f/t %, assists and 3's.

Hey guys, notice a lot of managers telling me they aren't getting notifications because instead of private messages being sent, wall posts are being made. It might be prudent to turn on your wall posts alert.

Also a reminder that you will now be required to make your pick within 24 hours.

(-If your time period passes, than the next person picking can make their pick. You can then make up your pick at anytime in the draft. If you miss your next pick, than Lilstinkylynx will draft for the absent manager based off highest cumulative bballmonster rankings of the previous season. If you miss a third pick, you can possibly be replaced.)

Let's keep this draft rolling along...Thanks guys!

I was hoping I'd get Thomas at my spot, which would have been about right I think. But I don't see how he gets much more than the 26mpg he was getting last year. Unless there are injuries he's simply not going to get the minutes to match his career year as starter for the Kings.

@dasein said:
    I was hoping I'd get Thomas at my spot, which would have been about right I think. But I don't see how he gets much more than the 26mpg he was getting last year. Unless there are injuries he's simply not going to get the minutes to match his career year as starter for the Kings.

I'm a sucker for gambling. My thinking is - he's the only player on a cluttered Celtics team that can score, pass and basically initiate offense. I see him as getting closer to 30 min as a 6th man, with the potential to even start alongside Smart, or instead of.

@Phil_OPastry said:
    I'm a sucker for gambling. My thinking is - he's the only player on a cluttered Celtics team that can score, pass and basically initiate offense. I see him as getting closer to 30 min as a 6th man, with the potential to even start alongside Smart, or instead of.

Smart will start. I feel they're dedicated to molding him. I think he tops out at 28 but more likely 26 in regards to Thomas. But he will definitely score a ton, hit a bunch of threes, and up that ft% of yours. Unfortunately there goes your tos and fg. Lol

@lilstinkylynx said:
    Smart will start. I feel they're dedicated to molding him. I think he tops out at 28 but more likely 26 in regards to Thomas. But he will definitely score a ton, hit a bunch of threes, and up that ft% of yours. Unfortunately there goes your tos and fg. Lol

Turnovers for sure, however, he is a career .444 shooter with last season hopefully being an aberration.

Not sure it is. He's the 2nd unit guy. And that second unit isn't that great. So I see him doing around the same.

I'm a celtics fan so I follow this closely and agree with @lilstinkylynx. The frontcourt rotation is a mystery but the backcourt not so much. Smart is the starter along with Bradley, and both will see at least 30min. Like I said, baring injury, 30mins and a starters gig for Thomas is just wishful thinking. He could very well be the 6th man of the year though.

edited September 2015

I did this last season for each round and was pretty off as it turns out so I figure I give it another go. Hopefully I do a bit better. Comment and blast away guys. Would love some input.

Round One Analysis

• Best Pick - Tie between @dasein and @Phil_OPastry‌. Although I expect Gallo to be the more productive of the two this season, both players are so similar in stats and style that it was hard to choose which one was the better pick. I think the greatest part of their game and where both managers will benefit most is in the FT attempts and the percentage that they will make them at. @Phil_OPastry‌ really broke my heart and broke my draft plan by taking Gallo so I'm hoping my analysis this season is similar to last season and I'm totally off and he tanks. Lol. Just kidding... Kind of. :/
    • Worst Pick - I'll have to give this one to @sald0gg. Easily in win now mode, I don't see Russel returning value this season. PGs have the steepest learning curve in the NBA so it will take some time. Then again, @sald0gg is the only team who has the luxury to take on such a challenge.
    • Honorable Mention (Negative) - This pick goes to @baller7037 for taking Jordan. There is honestly only one team able to ponder not punting FT with such a player and that is @sald0gg but he already has Drummond. If he did decide to go the punt route, he would really be the only team who would make sense to take Jordan. By taking such a player, @baller7037 really negates a lot of his players FT% positive and puts himself in the red so quickly. I don't know how he will go about turning that portion around but he helped himself with his horrid FG% quickly. Jordan is a beast and I expect better numbers this season, but it just doesn't make much sense for his team build IMO.
    • Honorable Mention (Positive) - This one goes to @Tek and @jasonuoft who both got what I consider the best rookies that are likely to produce this season. I think Myles will return a better cumulative ranking on opportunity alone, but Towns will be a great long term prospect. Blocks and percentages do transfer well to the NBA and both players have that going for them.
  • sald0ggsald0gg Member, League - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 18

I agree about my pick. Russell was it solely because as a die hard Laker fan I want him on my team if he blows up. But don't forget how good I am at banking long term picks from high upside prospects. Also I believe that D.Rose (even with his issues) is a late 3rd rounder in fantasy and comes into the year with no injury. I can't imagine a better pick in round 7.

@sald0gg said:
    I agree about my pick. Russell was it solely because as a die hard Laker fan I want him on my team if he blows up. But don't forget how good I am at banking long term picks from high upside prospects. Also I believe that D.Rose (even with his issues) is a late 3rd rounder in fantasy and comes into the year with no injury. I can't imagine a better pick in round 7.

I can see Rose losing a lot of his ball handling duties to Butler this season. I was consider Rose as well, I was deterred by all the negatives associated with his game and his dodgy health.

• sald0ggsald0gg Member, League - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 18

It's a high risk/high reward pick for sure, but when you can get a 7th rounder with 2nd round upside, that's how you win or lose fantasy leagues

@sald0gg said:
    It's a high risk/high reward pick for sure, but when you can get a 7th rounder with 2nd round upside, that's how you win or lose fantasy leagues

I completely agree. I'm praying that a declining Dirk can give his fans just one more year of awesome.

• DaRuhlDaRuhl Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 422

I'd take the under on Rose. BBM has him 99th on their board and 105th in their numerical projection. He's only finished in the top three rounds per-game twice in his 6 years (once 2nd round; once third round) and both of those years were helped by heavy minutes; his best finish per-36 was 28th followed by 45th. I don't think he can play 35+ minutes anymore.

That said, agreed that it is possible he finishes top 3 rounds, and if so that'll be a huge edge to you winning. But for myself I'd bet against.

Time will tell!

@sald0gg said:

Haha. I know buddy. Again, you also have that luxury to try things like this with your core. Any chance of beating you requires no mistake on my end so I can't take that risk. With that said, I bow down to your Laker love. I'm a die hard fan but I cut the line at fantasy. Lol

@Phil_OPastry said:
    I completely agree. I'm praying that a declining Dirk can give his fans just one more year of awesome.

I think Dirk will surprise (1st half at least). He will have a better Pg to set him up and two starters will be eased back. Minus Montas usage, he should have a nice bump early. Your sell high window will be small, but even with that said, top 50-60 production is a lock and you got him later so it's a great pick.

• jasonuoftjasonuoft Member, League - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 80

Wow Phil has 10 starters filled up already while most of us only 6. How unfair!
    We have a mountain to climb trying to contend! Lol

The 76ers are jealous that it only took one year for Phil to stock up and become a contender. Wise strategy sir.

@jasonuoft said:
    Wow Phil has 10 starters filled up already while most of us only 6. How unfair!
    We have a mountain to climb trying to contend! Lol

Nobody said a three peat would be easy but I didn't think it would be this hard.

Does this mean Phil can stop poaching my picks? :)

Dirk is a very nice value-pick here for my money. He was 41st in 9-cat last year. Is he really going to drop off that much? BBM is being overly pessimistic IMO.

Like DaRuhl, I'd happily bet that Rose finishes closer to 100 than 30. But hey, I'm all for a team as stacked as saddogs making those high variance picks. Gives the rest of us a small sliver of hope.

Btw, anyone else feel like throwing out their draft analysis... Please do. Best part of our league has always been the nice in depth discussions.

BPA was a PG and my most glaring positional need was someone to fill the PG slot. Done and done.

• boyet401boyet401 Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Philippine All-Star League, League - Philippine All-Star League Posts: 262

@dasein said:
    BPA was a PG and my most glaring positional need was someone to fill the PG slot. Done and done.

I was torn between Deron and Hill as I was also looking for a PG. The potential of a higher AST per game appealed more to me so I took DWill. I hope the gamble pays off.

I'm glad you took Deron too ;)

Nothing wrong with him, Hill just fits what I'm doing better.

I was really going to take George at 2.4 but opted for Thomas instead. I like both the Hill and Williams picks.

• DaRuhlDaRuhl Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 422

I like the Hill pick a lot. I was torn between him and Ariza. Hill having to play alongside Monta Ellis ultimately pushed me to Ariza, but I would have been happy with either. Nice pick!

@DaRuhl said:
    I like the Hill pick a lot. I was torn between him and Ariza. Hill having to play alongside Monta Ellis ultimately pushed me to Ariza, but I would have been happy with either. Nice pick!

He's on my do no draft list this season because he'll be taken way earlier than I'm willing to. He's solid but he's putting nowhere near what he put up last season. Then again, at where he got drafted, I think it's a nice pick. I just don't see how a returning Paul George and an abyss called Monta helps his cause. BBM has him projected at 55. I don't see it. I am in agreeance with @boyet401 and would have taken Deron and his assists upside over Hill and his efficiency.

To be fair to BBM, 55 is a big drop from 33 in per-game which is what he was at last year.

Personally, I'm not seeing anything unreasonable in their projection. Under 14ppg at just under 11 attempts per game is about his 3-year average. He gets his value from doing a little bit of everything- he's not really dependent on big usage.

George has always been there, and Monta will get his, but West is gone and I'm not seeing anyone in that frontcourt who's going to take a ton of shots. He still looks like a top 3 option on that Pacers team to me.

True on the 33 to 55 drop but maybe it's just me and my gut but I see him posting value around 70-80. What's nice about all this is we get to look back next season and see how we all did predicting things. (I was way off on Jimmy and Chandler last season but I did have some spot on insights that were on the money).

Ha, even if you're right I break even at worst (drafted at 82). Nothing but upside! B)

@dasein said:
    Ha, even if you're right I break even at worst (drafted at 82). Nothing but upside! B)

Yup. Totally agree on where you got him it is all upside. He's been going too early in other drafts I've seen.

As mentioned I was about to draft him at 2.4. I think George will be solid, especially if the Pacers play as fast a pace as they've been saying. I think he could get more 3's and less assists. I personally project Hill around 60.

I don't think the 55 is unreasonable at all - especially given the faster pace as mentioned.

Monta definitely worries me, but Hill managed a 43rd finish three years ago playing alongside Hibbert, Paul George and Lance Stephenson. Then again, two years ago alongside those three he only manage 95th - although that was contract-year Stephenson, which could be argued to reach well beyond Monta levels into the Ricky Davis realm...

Deron definitely has more positives than Hill, but most likely more negatives as well. I'd probably prefer Hill, on balance - unless Dallas weather is somehow better for Deron's ankles...

Just my 2c!

-DR

PS I like Covington as well!

Personally I'm not a huge fan of my Thad pick for my particular team build. I think that he blows this draft position right out of the water though as he is the only decent PF in Brooklyn. In any case, he is on the block if anyone really wants him.

edited September 2015

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. Had to take Thad if he was there, but didn't really want him.

Can't say I love K-Mart in a vacuum either, but he provides exactly what I needed. Even missing 20 games he has the highest FT impact of everyone on the board. Scoring and 3s will be there too, and I needed both. And to be honest, the relative roster strength I inherited requires me to roll the dice a time or two.

edited September 2015

Since every guy I've targeted has been swiped by @Phil_OPastry, I jumped to move up when I saw my guy was still there. My biggest concern was whether Noah's assists would dip when Rose came back and as we can see, it remained unchanged. I know Rose was out some games so the assists numbers jumped a bit for Noah but I'm not worried even with a slight dip. Mainly the out of position assists are too good to pass up (I'm thinking Brad Miller back in the day when I drafted him always for that reason). I know everyone's concerned about the major let down last season but I'll chalk that up to injury. Common now, kid was in consideration for MVP honors at one point and a defensive player of the year. With all that said, the best part is how hungry he always is. Now that he has something to prove and make up to his teammates as he likes to say, not to mention he's playing for a future contract, I'm all in for this pick.

Not surprising really. Phill has had 50% of the picks so far. Seriously, I'd like to know how one team ends up owning half the (conventional) first round, and another gets 5 good keepers and every pick in the first 2 rounds. Must have been a few wonky trades happening.

On Noah, I have him ranked closer to 100. I'm not sure he'll even see 30mpg this year. But it's hard to find any player in this part of the draft that doesn't come with risk so understandable that expectations are going to vary wildly.

@dasein said:
    Not surprising really. Phill has had 50% of the picks so far. Seriously, I'd like to know how one team ends up owning half the (conventional) first round, and another gets 5 good keepers and every pick in the first 2 rounds. Must have been a few wonky trades happening.

On Noah, I have him ranked closer to 100. I'm not sure he'll even see 30mpg this year. But it's hard to find any player in this part of the draft that doesn't come with risk so understandable that expectations are going to vary wildly.

I don't see him breaking 30 either but being healthy and playing for a contract does wonders to your stat line even in limited minutes.

This discussion has been closed.