Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online2

DaRuhl
DaRuhl
lilstinkylynx
lilstinkylynx
The Fantasy Basketball Cafe Response Team is coming back for the rest of the season. If you are interested in helping our community grow by interacting with our members, providing quality feedback and getting more involved, direct message "DailyFantasyCafe" for details.

2015/16 Discussion

Comments

• hichihichi Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 136

I'm just checking in..I haven't logged on this site in ages.

• RocketDWMRocketDWM Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 207

Still here too

• CapCap Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 736

Should we do a check in thread?

• daseindasein Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 956

Windyhill buggered off half way through last year so will need to be replaced. Anyone know a good candidate?

• daseindasein Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 956

Draft order is up. Let me know if you think anything is wrong.

Where did you get that list from because I'm pretty sure I don't have a 1st rounder this year, but I do have a 2nd rounder.

• DVauthrinDVauthrin Member, League - Bonanza Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 795
    edited September 2016

Nykos owns cap's 2016 1st and his own

• SoTexSoTex Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 167

Do we still need some time to get the newbies acclimated, or shall I go ahead and kick off the Rookie draft?

Do it. The rookie draft is pretty self explanatory. We can help explain the auction rules in the meantime.

• DVauthrinDVauthrin Member, League - Bonanza Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 795

It's fine to begin the rookie draft So-Tex. For all those new to the league, please PM the next person after you pick.

• KiireKiire Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 100

When and where can I post my early termination players?

@Kiire said:
    When and where can I post my early termination players?

In the 2016 Waives, Buyouts thread. And anytime you like before the season starts.

Not before the free agent auctions begin?

No, that's one of the rules that is different in this one. Personally, I think the way it's done in capologist is better.

That might a point of discussion for this coming off-season. Maybe consider streamlining the rules for next season, so that both leagues are as similar as possible, if not the same. Considering that a good chunk of managers are now in both leagues, I'd think that would go a long way to alleviating some confusion.

Dropping my pick in shortly to kick this thing off! B)

The salary structure is also different. But I don't mind difference. Just need to keep them apart :)

I would certainly be in favor of merging the rules. Would save us fullas that run the things a lot of headaches. Salaries can easily be adjusted so that % of cap remains the same.

@Kiire said:
    The salary structure is also different. But I don't mind difference. Just need to keep them apart :)

And that's why I'm saying it's something to consider next off-season. There are some nuances which make each league different, and we'd have to decide how similar we'd want them to be. There are still managers here who AREN'T in the other league, so we have to respect their thoughts as well.

It should make for good discussion once the season ends, though...and I think it's worth the effort to try.

It is midnight here, so make your pick so I can choose as well before going to bed :wink:

• DaRuhlDaRuhl Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 445

is draft 12 or 24 hour clock? thanks!

doesn't look like it says. I would suggest (with reservation given who's asking) that we go with 24, same as the other league. Keep in mind that free agency start depends on this finishing.

I seem to remember we had hashed all this out before...but, it might have been when we were on the old Cafe forum. Maybe it got lost in the transition a few years back?

• DaRuhlDaRuhl Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 445

Ha! Richly deserved of course @dasein, but in this case I was actually asking how long to wait for the person ahead of me! :smile:

Hey guys,

when editing the spreadsheet please don't delete all info about players that are coming off your books. That can be useful for working out what type of FA they are, and indeed who the FAs are.

I actually have big reservations about letting everyone loose on the sheet. I can see the macros getting buggered pretty easily. Might need some directions about what we can and can't do and how to do it.

edited September 2016

deleted double post

• neocacheneocache Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 14
    edited September 2016

hey guys.... i finally got to digging into all the details of this league. It's dawned on me that i need to clear a tiny bit of cap space in order to make me 1st round (#12) pick. Just going through my options, out loud, so if anyone wants to chime in and tell me where I'm right or wrong, that's welcome

I don't have any cap space so I can't buy out a contract.
    When do these 16/17 contracts go into effect? I'm trying to assess the financial impact if I do some straight drops.
    Kendall Marshall isn't on an NBA roster right now. How's that work for (or against) me?
    I'll put some guys on my trade block to try and create some space.

thanks in advance

Make sure that none of your vets are in a "Team Option" year. If they are, you can buy them out, and only pay some of the salary owed them as a hold. Cost is 25% of the contract if player is in his final year, or 25% of the last two years combined (if it's a 4-year deal, and player is in year 3). That might help you get under, as you would only be paying 25% of something, as opposed to the full amount.

edited September 2016

You can't straight buy out anyone, but someone like JR Smith, or Marshall (one year contract highlighted in red on your spreadsheet), you can buy them out:

• 25% of the upcoming year’s salary, if it is the final year of a 2, 3, or 4-year contract.
    • 25% of the combined 3rd and 4th year salaries if it is the third year of a 4-year contract.

So in the cases of Smith, Marshall and say Jarrett Jack, you can buy them out paying .25 x their salary this year = .25 x 3.1 in smith's case, .25 x 1.45 in marshall's, and .25 x 4.1 in jack's. If you waive all three, you free up 2.32M, 1.09M, 3.07M, for a total of 6.48M in cap space, and .78, .36, and 1.03 (2.17M total) in dead cap space that comes off the book after this season.

If you wanted to waive someone like DeAndre Jordan, it's 25% of his remaining contract, so .25 x 27.5=20.62 in free cap over the two years, 6.88M in dead cap. You could either take the hit all this year, or split the 6.88M across the next two years since he has two years left on his deal.

Corrected for accuracy since I forgot it's 25% of the 3rd and 4th years like So-Tex said.

@DVauthrin said:

If you wanted to waive someone like DeAndre Jordan, it's 50% of his remaining contract, so .5 x 27.5=13.75M in free cap, 13.75M in dead cap. You could either take the hit all this year, or split the 13.75 across the next two years since he has two years left on his deal.

I don't think that's accurate. I understood a buyout had to be paid only the year of the buyout, and couldn't be stretched out over time. If it was a "straight drop", THEN you would have to pay %75 this year, then %50 each year afterward left on the deal. So a player in his 2nd year being dropped would be owed 75%(x), 50%(x2), 50%(x3), for the three years left on his deal.

Also, I think your math might be off. The % is applied AFTER you add the two years together. So in DeAndre's case, you take the sum of the last two years (27.5) and mulitply it by .25%. What it looks to me is your doubling up the .25%, then applying it to the two years. Here's the rule:

"- 25% of the combined 3rd and 4th year salaries if it is the third year of a 4-year contract."

Basically, you add the two years up, then take 25% of THAT.

Wauw, good you tell me. That is so cheap to get rid of player that are not playing well.

• jb510jb510 Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 118

So I have someone like Will Barton with a red box eligible for a partially guaranteed buyout (25%) but Faried without a colored box. Does that mean I would not be able to buy out Faried for 25% if I wanted to? I assume he had at least a 2 year deal?

The other boxes seems pretty clear I think. Orange are team option years tied to draft picks and green are RFA rights to match?

Faried should have a coloured box too. You didn't buy him this year so he must have been on at least two years.

You might want to ask about Faried. If he was only on a one year deal, then he may not even be on your roster. If it was a two year deal, he should have that box shaded red.

Barton you are correct about, but check on Faried.

Ok that makes sense. Thanks.

And for future reference (if you haven't done so already), either create your own spreadsheet, or download the online version and adjust it offline yourself. A lot of times, that's how we manage to fix inconsistencies.

Just throwing that out there...just in case... ;)

F> @jb510 said:

So I have someone like Will Barton with a red box eligible for a partially guaranteed buyout (25%) but Faried without a colored box. Does that mean I would not be able to buy out Faried for 25% if I wanted to? I assume he had at least a 2 year deal?

The other boxes seems pretty clear I think. Orange are team option years tied to draft picks and green are RFA rights to match?

Faried will have a red box in a minute. And you are correct on everything else.

I apologize for any mistakes. I've worked like crazy to get the spreadsheet updated while independently trying to figure out the macros for later use.

@SoTex said:

@DVauthrin said:

I don't think that's accurate. I understood a buyout had to be paid only the year of the buyout, and couldn't be stretched out over time. If it was a "straight drop", THEN you would have to pay %75 this year, then %50 each year afterward left on the deal. So a player in his 2nd year being dropped would be owed 75%(x), 50%(x2), 50%(x3), for the three years left on his deal.

>
    Scully asked me last year if I wanted to take Josh Smith's 5M partially guaranteed buyout for his 3rd and 4th years over two years or just one. I had always expected to take it all that specific year, but it's not a big deal to me either way.

DV, it's a daunting task, I'm sure. It didn't go unnoticed when scully had it...and it doesn't go unnoticed now...GREAT JOB!!! :)

• neocacheneocache Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 14

@SoTex said:
    DV, it's a daunting task, I'm sure. It didn't go unnoticed when scully had it...and it doesn't go unnoticed now...GREAT JOB!!! :)

Yeah... i second that emotion. To all of you in the league office keeping the gears turning smoothly - you're doing heroic work.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs.

When I look at the league spreadsheet, I'm not undestanding why Kendall Marshall's 2016/17 salary (last year of his contract @1.45M) is NOT in a colored cell. Would someone be kind enough to double check that for me? On the "players" tab, his contract is indicated as "partially guaranteed".

Because I kept forgetting to make his background color cell red honestly. For me it's been just as easy to do things manually at least until I figure out how to get the macros working right.

It's now fixed.

Guys, we really need to speed up the rookie draft. We'very made 5 picks in 5 days so far, when really, the entire draft should take no longer than a week. We'very got a lot of auctioning to do before the end of Oct. so the sooner we get the draft done the better. Make sure you email the next guy in line after you make your pick.

The auctions usually take about 3 weeks. We're good. No reason to panic. Draft was held up largely by one forgotton pm.

• TheRobSaysTheRobSays Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 323

Quick Thought - I personally think everyone should keep their own spreadsheet and post it weekly? Why does poor DV have to do all the work?

As things go, I keep my own spreadsheet to begin with. I use the master sheet only as a reference, in case I want to make someone a trade offer or something. Other than tracking everyone's salary threashold/cap space (for the rules and such), that's really the only reason it needs to be updated...but it doesn't need to be combed over on a daily basis, in my opinion. Once a week or so should suffice for those needs. It really should only happen when a deal goes down, and then, within a reasonable amount of time. If a trade happens on a Monday, and it doesn't get updated until the weekend, I don't think that's going to kill anybody.

And again, I do agree, it's a tedious job...one that doesn't go unappreciated! :)

For now, if you want to trade 2019 picks for players in this year's draft, just have the other owner pick the players you want and make the trade official after the draft. We'll have dasein make an official rule change also.

• hichihichi Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 136

Jeez. This draft is like pulling freaking teeth. Too slow. Let's go guys.

• rockchalkrockchalk Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 173

Seriously no pick yet? C'mon!

Sorry, I did not know it was my turn untill dvauthrin told me. I should check the draftorder. But I did not get a message either to say it is my turn. Again I apologize for the delay.

I had a message typed up to Kiire/number21 and thought I sent it but it didn't go through for some reason. Sorry about that guys.