Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Fantasy Basketball Cafe Response Team is coming back for the rest of the season. If you are interested in helping our community grow by interacting with our members, providing quality feedback and getting more involved, direct message "DailyFantasyCafe" for details.

2015/16 Discussion

daseindasein Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 937
This discussion was created from comments split from: 2015 Rookie Draft.

Comments

• scully19scully19 Member, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 236

5 to 2 turns out fantastic for me, looks like I have some research to do on the draft.

Shall we do a roll call or something and do our own draft, or do we wait until closer to doing our draft itself and open with the draft before the auction right after.

• SoTexSoTex Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 158

Roll call for now would be good. And as long as we don't jump into things this week, I'm down with starting whenever. Just real busy this week leading up to the 4th of July weekend. ;)

• daseindasein Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 937

Probably wanna wait till free agency is largely sorted before doing the draft. Need a replacement for nsink who has a fairly high pick anyway.

• DaRuhlDaRuhl Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 423

I don't have any draft picks this year, so don't care when the draft is... whenever y'all want.

Forgot about the replacement. We should probably start trying to sort that out, anyone coming into this league is going to need time to read and ask questions.

• daseindasein Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 937

Yeah, still need to decide on rule changes too.

I've reached out to massmonic from bbm forums, and he is interested in jumping in. Will send him a copy of the rules so he knows what he's getting into, but my guess is he'll be good with it and will make a good addition.

So, should probably get on to the rule voting eh.

• DaRuhlDaRuhl Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 423

Familiar w/massmonic via posts, seems like dude (presumedly?) is active and knows his stuff. Think he'll be a good addition.

• hichihichi Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 136

I'm pretty wide open for when we start things up. Probably a good idea to let the free agent dust settle a little.

Massmonic has decided it's a bit much for him so we still need a guy. Any suggestions?

• RocketDWMRocketDWM Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 190

Off topic but might we think about raising the cap a la the NBA next year?

@RocketDWM said:
    Off topic but might we think about raising the cap a la the NBA next year?

I did mention this last year but am in two minds as it would come with a lot of downside.

Also, if we want our salaries to be in line with the NBA, I'm not sure we need to do anything- at the high end at least. Davis just got his contract for 29M per year, which is about what he's worth in our league given number of teams/roster sizes.

Low end is a different story. Vet's minimum is half a million bucks, and we still got the 0.25.

I don't see our salary cap number as broken. The mechanics seem to work fine, and actually with the '15-16 cap at 67.1 and luxury tax at 81.6 (both projected), we're right in the ballpark.

For rules that are really broken, I can justify changes quickly even if they throw some people's planning off. For rules like this that I view as mostly ok, if we changed them I'd want the changes to occur slowly and/or have plenty of notice in advance to respect people's planning.

So, I wouldn't want to raise it for next year. Maybe for a year or two out though.

-DR

Bit of a fubar with Q5 in the vote. My bad. :/

The question asked whether to reduce the window to match an RFA from 48 to 24. Well, the current rule actually is 24hr, which is twice the 12hr window to win a standard auction. What it should have asked was whether we want to reduce it from 24hrs to 12hrs.

I think the No vote there should be interpreted as keep the rule as is rather than double it to 48hr.

That sounds right to me.

So how about that draft...

Everyone waiting on Nykos, who checked in then disappeared off the face of the earth.....

He's french so probably on holiday.

hmm..so it's been 2.5 weeks since we've heard anything from nykos. When do we worry that he's been hit by a bus or something?

edited September 2015

I dunno, but if I got hit by a bus, my last words would be 'take care of my fantasy team', which I assume is the same for everyone else.

Perhaps a few friendly reminder emails? I'm quite ready for my pick whenever he does pick.

We could also just make an educated guess that he is taking Towns and get the draft moving.

Have sent about 3 emails in the last week, including just now. I did think about just giving him Towns- hard to imagine anyone else going 1. But he has 3 1st rounders so we're going to run into the same problem pretty soon anyway.

Got hold of him. He is on holiday with limited interweb. He's made the 1st pick though so scully can fire away.

• Fenris_77Fenris_77 Member, League - Bonanza Keeper League, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 215

I don't know what it is but apparently I'm drafting 9th in every single league this year regardless of format. Odd.

Nice pick DC, he's looking to be a very nice player and on a team desperate for someone at his position.

On a side note, the draft thread never shows up as having a new post for me for some reason? Is that happening for anyone else?

• silentjimsilentjim Member, Moderator, Commish - Bonanza Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League, League - Battle of the Sports Forums Posts: 517 mod

@scully19 said:
    On a side note, the draft thread never shows up as having a new post for me for some reason? Is that happening for anyone else?

Happening to me as well. Weird

Happened to me too

When putting together the FA schedule, I noticed that Valanciunus is showing as an upcoming RFA on the spreadsheet. Problem is, he was drafted in 2011 so should have been an RFA last year. Don't know what's happening here.

• DVauthrinDVauthrin Member, League - Bonanza Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 774

@dasein said:
    When putting together the FA schedule, I noticed that Valanciunus is showing as an upcoming RFA on the spreadsheet. Problem is, he was drafted in 2011 so should have been an RFA last year. Don't know what's happening here.

He was drafted in 2011, but did not play his 1st NBA game until the 2012-2013 season.

http://m.bkref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXvXXvalanjo01.html&t=1

• Fenris_77Fenris_77 Member, League - Bonanza Keeper League, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 215

Sorry for the wait gentlemen.

Ah ok, I had forgotton that. Cool! Problem solved.

Don't you be trying to shoplift my RFA dasein...

Lots of big names this year! We already knew that, but impressive to see them in one list. I predict lots of accidental over-cap bids.

King James and KD in one slot tough enough, but when you throw Nate Wolters into the mix... man. :-)

-DR

• TheRobSaysTheRobSays Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 322

When do we start?

@TheRobSays said:
    When do we start?

The 14th

• CapCap Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 733
    edited September 2015

Question, we can't officially start the auctions until the rookie draft is complete, correct? I mean, what if someone has a bunch of upcoming picks, they can't use all their cap space in the auctions and have nothing left for the draft, right? Similarly, what if someone has upcoming 2nd round picks but wants to waive them at no cost, can they use that dedicated cap space in the auctions, or can they pre-waive their picks? Best thing is to just wait until the rookie draft is done before we start the auctions.

Also, is there a penalty for not making your pick? I believe Rockets has been on the clock for 48+ hours already. At some point does he lose the pick or get pushed back so we can move on?

Rockets and I have been talking trade on that pick a little. That may have been slowing things up.

Sorry for the hold-up on the pick!

• kulakula Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 264

I'm back and ready for the season.

I'm working on finishing up the new season sheet, planning on finishing it tomorrow ready for the auction to get going.

• SoTexSoTex Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 158

Some clarification please...I'm wanting to drop Porter Jr...he's on a rookie contract, and this year is his 3rd year, which is a team option. I'm I right in assuming that this drop won't cost me anything? I've gone over the rule, and that's what it looks like, other than are we considered off-season or not (which is a whole other issue for me, but I'll argue that later if need be).

Just want to make sure I can do what I want without getting in trouble for it. ;)

@SoTex said:
    Some clarification please...I'm wanting to drop Porter Jr...he's on a rookie contract, and this year is his 3rd year, which is a team option. I'm I right in assuming that this drop won't cost me anything? I've gone over the rule, and that's what it looks like, other than are we considered off-season or not (which is a whole other issue for me, but I'll argue that later if need be).

Just want to make sure I can do what I want without getting in trouble for it. ;)

It's his last year coming up, and it is the offseason so yeah you can.

Anyone know anyone who could turn off this stupid spam block? I made 3 posts in 60 seconds, and got barred from posting again for another 2 minutes.

edited September 2015

Can one of the committee members please comment on my questions above? Not sure if we've ever started the auctions before completing the rookie draft before, but as far as I can see there's nothing in the rules that says you need to reserve cap space for draft picks not yet drafted, or even what happens when you don't have enough cap space for your draft pick to begin with.

Of course you need to hold space, you are booked to spend it because you have a draft pick with a set amount of money assigned to them.

The only problem with that would be 2nd round picks, that don't have to be signed (i.e. we can drop them right away).

Shouldn't there be something in the rules about this? For instance, when does this cap space automatically come off the books? I assume as soon as the season ends and the rookie draft order is set? What about future picks, there's no commitment since we don't know where those picks will be? Does anyone else see something wrong with forcing commitment for an upcoming draft but not the following draft, etc? What happens when you don't have enough cap space for your draft pick? If you're not committed until the end of the season then technically you can use up all your future cap space before the rookie draft is set and not have enough to make your pick. Also, how can we force someone to use cap space on draft picks not made yet if their intention is to waive those picks anyway? That could easily be solved by not starting the auctions before the rookie draft is complete, not sure why we jumped the gun.

They do have a set amount though, so when you draft them, even if you plan to drop them the entire time, they are temporarily counted against your cap.

If this is actually a big issue for anyone, we could easily just have people withdraw their pick for the 2nd round and just don't even make one.

Makes sense, I doubt it would be a big deal.

edited September 2015

That was my original question. I have two 2nd rounders coming up and plan on waiving them both, so can I do that preemptively or do I have to wait until my turn comes up? It's not entirely fair to start the auctions if I am committed to this cap space while we're still drafting.