Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

The Fantasy Basketball Cafe Response Team is coming back for the rest of the season. If you are interested in helping our community grow by interacting with our members, providing quality feedback and getting more involved, direct message "DailyFantasyCafe" for details.

2014 Training Camp Watch

Probably a good idea to have a separate discussion for the players making waves in the pre-season. Who has grabbed your attention or simply deserves more acclaim?

I've lately been monitoring Steven Adams, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and the Chalmers/Cole PG battle.

Comments

• bjamesgalibjamesgali Posts: 217

I like Adams even more so with McGary out for the beginning of the year, I really hope Brooks unleashes him this year. I for sure thought he'd get run with Perkins going down at the latter end of last year, but brooks opted to go small with ibaka at 5.

I also like Teletovic, Favors, Payton and both Plumlees. I also don't think Arizia slows down in a new change of scenery. A deep sleeper and probably a top WW pick up later in the year will definitely be Jarnell Stokes, his per minute averages are legit.

• TheThrillTheThrill Posts: 267

Agreed with you both. Adams has caught my eye so far.

• Phil_OPastryPhil_OPastry Posts: 317

Bojan Bodganovic

• RedhopefulRedhopeful Posts: 182 mod

@Phil_OPastry said:
    Bojan Bodganovic

When it's all said and done in NJ, I feel people will regret sleeping at Andrei Kirilenko. Especially considering how late he can be had.

edited October 2014

@Redhopeful said:When it's all said and done in NJ, I feel people will regret sleeping at Andrei Kirilenko. Especially considering how late he can be had.

True, but I seem to recall Hollins saying he was going to be shifting JJ to Small Forward.

@Phil_OPastry said:
    True, but I seem to recall Hollins saying he was going to be shifting JJ to Small Forward.

Nod. But I like AK's chances on finishing games (thus his minutes will be fine). Reportedly Hollins is a huge fan of what AK brings on the floor.

@Redhopeful said:
    Nod. But I like AK's chances on finishing games (thus his minutes will be fine). Reportedly Hollins is a huge fan of what AK brings on the floor.

Makes sense, plus if memory serves Hollins is more a fan of playing vets over rookies.

@bjamesgali said:
    A deep sleeper and probably a top WW pick up later in the year will definitely be Jarnell Stokes, his per minute averages are legit.

Anyone else high on this kid? I've been watching him since reading this and he has made it on to my watch lists in a few leagues.

• silentjimsilentjim Posts: 517 mod

I haven't seen enough of him in real life, but he seems to be a tweener. Not big enough to guard the big PFs but not quick enough to guard the smaller PFs either. Most people don't seem to like the Dejuan Blair quick comparisons because he does seem to be a better outside shooter than Blair (and has knees), but seems fairly limited just because of his physical size.

@Phil_OPastry said:
    Anyone else high on this kid? I've been watching him since reading this and he has made it on to my watch lists in a few leagues.

After reading those comments, yes, I also added him to my watch list as well. But that's for a deep 20 team league. I don't have him on my watch list in a standard league yet.

I'm also going to go ahead and say that I think Otto Porter has a mini breakout year.. Right now it still looks pretty even between Glen Rice and him, but I feel like OPJs defensive tools gives him a slight edge over thee latter.

Mozgov was sneaky good at the end of last season, and I've mentioned this in other posts, but I hate owning Denver players with Shaw's slippery rotations. If he is high on Mozgov as he's reporting to the media, I can see RoLo type numbers from him this year.

Also, don't look now, but it's a make or break year for Harrison Barnes. I think I read that he's being entered into the first unit and having Iggy lead the second. If he can put up his 2013 playoff numbers, within the first two games as a starter, I'd make a mad dash to the Waiver Wire for him.

Don't forget about the effect of a contract year; some notable players auditioning for bigger pay days this year include tristan thompson, greg monroe, teletovic, kemba, shumpert, tobias harris, rJax, jimmy butler, KJ McDaniels, draymond green, kanter, knight and burks....

• ges05ages05a Posts: 22

Also, this is a contract year for Amir Johnson. I have strongly considered targeting him on the belief that he will be very motivated this year and become a double double machine.

• ges05ages05a Posts: 22

And a second on Steven Adams. He is a sleeper for now, but will be known as a solid center by this time next year. Brooks is conservative, so he's tried to keep playing Perkins, but I think the Durant injury will be the final straw that puts Adams in the starting lineup and playing 25-28 mpg.

edited October 2014

A lot of guys have suddenly gotten an opportunity with the recent string of injuries: KCP, Otto, Lamb and plenty more.

One guy that has suddenly become intriguing is Evan Turner. Stevens has been letting him run the point and he hasn't completely fallen on his face. Word out of BOS is Coach also prefers him to Jeff Green (something to keep in mind when Rondo returns).

Agree with turner! Analysts hate his game, and he's continuously being advised not to take in standard leagues, but he's doing something right in Boston.

A few stand-outs...
    Andre Roberson maybe starting for the Thunder this season.
    Poindexter looks to be starting in Memphis.

@Phil_OPastry said:
    A few stand-outs...
    Andre Roberson maybe starting for the Thunder this season.
    Poindexter looks to be starting in Memphis.

You should be rooting for Perry Jones III. My deep league (20 teams) is counting on you to root for Perry! :D

Is Mason Plum still considered a deep league target? He's bound to have a minimum average of 25 minutes per game with both KG and BroLo as his only competition for minutes. I guess question is, does Hollins play Mason and BroLo together if BroLo can stay healthy? I mean he was the coach of ZBo and Marc Gasol all these years, so I can see it happening.

• BigBossBigBoss Posts: 9

PJ Jones anyone? Bad FT% but should help in all other cats! I like him better than Lamb

Agreed... of the OKC bench mob entering the starting line up I rate them:

Jones > Roberson > Lamb (I think morrow just sprained his mcl, so he's out as well...) But the biggest beneficiary of course if RJax, if we can even include him in this conversation.

edited October 2014

With the news Rondo could return for opening night, Evan Turner has lost all allure with me.

Still can't decide on what to make of Norris Cole. He was such an incredible scorer in college and it looks like the Heat have been trying to coax some of it out of him in preseason. Mixed results so far, but if he starts and earns 26-30 minutes a game, he could put up some late round value.

Reggie Jackson just hurt his ankle at practice and was spotted afterwards on crutches... Roberson and Lamb could be in for a boost.

No WAY!?! Wow.. what the heck is happening to OKC :(

@bjamesgali said:
    No WAY!?! Wow.. what the heck is happening to OKC :(

I think they must have hired the Blazers' medical staff.

@Phil_OPastry‌
    It's crazy both eastern and western conference finalists went from top of the league to probably not making playoffs.. Both lost their best players, and now each one are losing players daily! Talk about a flipped script.

@bjamesgali said:
    Phil_OPastry‌
    It's crazy both eastern and western conference finalists went from top of the league to probably not making playoffs.. Both lost their best players, and now each one are losing players daily! Talk about a flipped script.

It's insane. I don't recall a pre-season where players have been dropping quite like this. It is odd that both the Thunder and Pacers have been ravaged so badly. I expect the Pacers to pull 96-97' Spurs job here and get a top prospect and come back in dominating fashion next year.