Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

The Fantasy Basketball Cafe Response Team is coming back for the rest of the season. If you are interested in helping our community grow by interacting with our members, providing quality feedback and getting more involved, direct message "DailyFantasyCafe" for details.

2017 Rules, Discussion and Notices

DVauthrinDVauthrin Member, League - Bonanza Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 1,084

I will post the first group of auctions in three hours(around 7:30 central). The FA schedule is available on the spreadsheet and has been for about a week.

Rules:

• Bidding takes place here on the cafe
  • It takes 12 hours with the top bid to win an auction.
  • If you have bird rights on a player, you can offer yearly raises/decreases of 15% while everyone else can offer only 10% and you can match the top bid on a player(and restructure the contract for the same amount as long as it meets league rules). No editing of any auction bids, just post it as a new bid.
  • Minimum starting salary is 500K, and 500K-4.99M in first year salary contracts can be a max of 2 years. 5-9.99 M 3 years, and 10M and above, 4 years.
  • There is no maximum salary limit, but we have a hard cap of 75M. You cannot exceed 75M in annual salary for this season with any bid, and if you lead an auction, that counts against your cap for this season at that moment.
  • If you have a RFA(guys in green on spreadsheet), you have 24 hours to match or decline the winning bid, and you do not have to bid yourself. Like bird rights, you can restructure the winning bid as long as it meets league rules and is for the same dollar amount.

Comments

• DVauthrinDVauthrin Member, League - Bonanza Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 1,084

Also, Rob, I accidentally deleted the previous thread, so I wanted to tell you no big deal. Opinions are always welcomed.

• DaRuhlDaRuhl Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 563

Few questions (some of which I believe have been covered before but I apologize for forgetting):

a) when do team options on players need to be accepted/declined by? When do contracts become guaranteed?

b) are we allowed to cut/buyout a player on the same day we play them? does it depend on whether it is a cut or a buyout, when we do it relative to the game time, or when in the season it is, or anything else of note?

c) when is the latest we can do a buyout in the season? are there any special circumstances/variables around this?

thanks!

-DR

PS Full disclosure - I am NOT going to argue/pushback/challenge/negotiate any of the answers at all no matter what they are - at most ask a follow-up question to further clarify. I'm happy with whatever they are, I just want to have them... thanks!

• DVauthrinDVauthrin Member, League - Bonanza Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 1,084

a) they need to be accepted or declined before the first game of the regular season.

b) I set the league to daily-today transactions, which means adds and drops take immediate effect on your roster. So if you cut a guy who was in your lineup and his game has started, the drop takes effect the next day. Otherwise, it takes place that day, not enabling you to use them that day. Whether it is a cut or buyout is immaterial.

b: part 2) The only time this is different is after a player's game has started the final night of the playoffs. To waive a player after their game has begun on the last night of the fantasy playoffs, you MUST take the cap hit in the following season/s, not the current one(ending that night).

c) You can do buyouts up until the last game the final night of the fantasy playoffs finishes.

• nykosnykos Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 461

Birds rights does not mean I can match after the auction is closed, right?
    Missed the start of the auctions & I missed M.Markieff...

• DaRuhlDaRuhl Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 563

Likewise on T. Ariza!

But I think that is the case although I'll defer to the official folks!

@nykos said:
    Birds rights does not mean I can match after the auction is closed, right?
    Missed the start of the auctions & I missed M.Markieff...

Correct. Bird rights enable you to match the highest bid within the 12 hour time limit needed to win the auction, and place your bid in the lead. Only with restricted FA's can you can match after an auction closed.

@DaRuhl said:
    Likewise on T. Ariza!

But I think that is the case although I'll defer to the official folks!

See post below:

Bird rights enable you to match the highest bid within the 12 hour time limit needed to win the auction, and place your bid in the lead. Only with restricted FA's can you can match after an auction closed.

• jb510jb510 Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 182
    edited September 22

Here is the link to the rules.

SCL Rules

The Cliff Notes version:

RFA you wait until the auction ends and have 24 hours to match

Bird rights you have to match in the auction thread before auction closes along with an option to restructure the contract.

Ok... good to you that you rushed the start of the auctions!
    Let's see where we can bid..

question : I have J.Sullinger that has signed in China, so no NBA..
    do I have a cap hold to release him or no penalty?

• rockchalkrockchalk Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 260

Scenario question. Am I able to bid on a player I dropped during the regular season last year?

If I can't, I won't be able to able to bid on about half the league. :#

@rockchalk said:
    Scenario question. Am I able to bid on a player I dropped during the regular season last year?

If I can't, I won't be able to able to bid on about half the league. :#

Yes, you can. You just can't bid on them that particular season.

• SoTexSoTex Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 203

Damn!

Now I feel like putting a bid in for DMC...just so Kiire can come in and tell me it's illegal because I don't have enough cap space... o:)

:D B) ;)

• KiireKiire Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 182

What did I do?

LOL! No Kiire, it's not what you did...I just feel left out... :p

:D :D :D

@Kiire said:
    What did I do?

Nothing. He's messing around.

@DVauthrin said:

@Kiire said:
    What did I do?

Nothing. He's messing around.

:p :p :p

:D :D :D

@nykos said:
    question : I have J.Sullinger that has signed in China, so no NBA..
    do I have a cap hold to release him or no penalty?

Since he hasn't officially retired, if you waive him, he's subject to standard waiver rules(25% of his current salary). But because he's not an active NBA player, he can be listed as inactive and not count against your cap. But he will take up a roster spot in that case.

Good to know both possibilities. Thanks

In our league settings on Yahoo, we show playoffs as week 21, 22, and 23 with 23 running from 3/26 - 4/1.

Just confirming that this is correct.

Thanks!

-DR

The playoff dates in yahoo match up to week's 22-23-24 in BBM. Yahoo combines the week before and after the all star break as one week, not two separate ones

Was Jabari Parker dropped/waived last season? @RocketDWM declined his team option on 9/23. I don't think he should have been included in the FA schedule, but should need to be nominated when the schedule is completed.

Am I missing something?

edited September 26

@rockchalk said:
    Was Jabari Parker dropped/waived last season? @RocketDWM declined his team option on 9/23. I don't think he should have been included in the FA schedule, but should need to be nominated when the schedule is completed.

Am I missing something?

Players that are waived at any point during our auctions are eligible to be added to the FA schedule, and have always been added in the past if they are worthy.

They typically go in an extra column, but there were a few guys in the last row that were not bid worthy, so I put him there as he is the best of the waived players.

Thanks for the clarification. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

@rockchalk said:
    Thanks for the clarification. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

No problem. Glad I could clear it up.

What happened to Dwight Powell?!? Was he NOT supposed to be on the FA Schedule? You went Jabari Parker, and now Tyson Chandler. Was Powell on there by mistake, like Bojan?

edited September 27

@SoTex said:
    What happened to Dwight Powell?!? Was he NOT supposed to be on the FA Schedule? You went Jabari Parker, and now Tyson Chandler. Was Powell on there by mistake, like Bojan?

After watching two guys in the last row (Ellington and Moore) get passed on, I chose to put players that would be bid on in those spots. Powell is still a free agent and I'll put him at the end of the last column, but we need to get this completed, and auctioning guys that draw no interest just delays the process.

Bojan on the other hand was an oversight mistake on my part.

Not knocking the sensibility of moving guys around. But I make my plans based on the schedule, including possible trades with other managers. And when you move things around like that, I end up having to go BACK to those guys and say "Well, I WOULD make that deal with you, but now the auction I was targeting has been moved back to the end of the schedule...can you wait?" That's what sucks.

I mean, I know you're trying to get through guys who don't get any bids, and I know you could probably care less about a guy who's going to get a .5M dollar contract. But that's .5 that I need to know I have, or don't have, so I can make other deals. When that auction gets moved, it screws with other plans I make. I mean, what if I just say OK, then make a deal, and find out that I'm short for the auction at the end? If I have to make that choice, I could have said, "I'll keep the guy I won in the auction rather than make the trade."

Don't know if that sentiment is coming through or not, but it's frustrating putting trade deals on hold because I'm trying to save my cap space for auctions I could have been in or done with by now.

edited September 27

I mean, I'd be good with even starting the next auction if a certain amount of time has passed and no one has bid on the first player. That way, you could still move things along, while keeping the other auction still open, in case someone comes in at the 11th hour with a bid. We've done that before when we've reached the end of row...I don't see why you can't make that sort of "executive decision" when it's easy to see a player is not going to get a bid any time soon.

And again, not knocking your intentions and sentiments...it's just an idea...

@SoTex said:
    I mean, I'd be good with even starting the next auction if a certain amount of time has passed and no one has bid on the first player. That way, you could still move things along, while keeping the other auction still open, in case someone comes in at the 11th hour with a bid. We've done that before when we've reached the end of row...I don't see why you can't make that sort of "executive decision" when it's easy to see a player is not going to get a bid any time soon.

And again, not knocking your intentions and sentiments...it's just an idea...

Here's what I'll do. I'll go ahead and post Powell now so you aren't held up any longer. I apologize for inconveniencing you and your trade plans. I'm just trying to keep things running smoothly and efficiently.

LOL!!! Sorry if that sounded like I was slamming you...no worries, my friend! And thank you, I DO appreciate that! :)

@SoTex said:
    LOL!!! Sorry if that sounded like I was slamming you...no worries, my friend! And thank you, I DO appreciate that! :)

I didn't take it that way. I can see where the tone in the post comes off that way, but I genuinely meant what I wrote. I don't like holding up deals and discussion, that's what makes the league fun.

• TheRobSaysTheRobSays Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 401

You both are dicks ... just saying ... :p :p :p

@TheRobSays said:
    You both are dicks ... just saying ... :p :p :p

ROTFLMAO!!! :D :D :D

darn... laid down for a quick nap before hitting some bids, slept the night, and missed PJ Tucker!! good deal for cap!

• daseindasein Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 1,006

If anyone wants another league, I've got a few spots to fill.

1. One spot in a 20 team H2H keeper that's been going for 10 years. Your likely keepers would be Kyrie and Love. Scoring is a little different - OR and DR instead of Rbd and A/TO instead of TO.

2. Four spots in what started out as my F&F league more than 10 years ago. Most originals have since grown up and stopped playing. Funnily enough, Matt Smith from BBM was a walk on in yr1 and is still there. This is a 12 team redraft H2H with std 9 cats and snake draft. Also, I have never won this league in it's history which I can't fathom.

edited September 30

Just realized, I dropped JaMychal Green earlier this off-season while prepping for the auctions. I know what the in-season rule is for not bidding on a player who's been dropped...but does that apply here as well? I put a bid on Green this morning, but I'm OK if a ruling is made that this is in invalid bid due to the fact I bought him out earlier. Let me know.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I think it IS invalid. But I don't want to go screwing with deleting it from the auction thread and compromising the auction any more. I simply forgot that I was the one who waived Green at the beginning of the off-season. Again, I'll wait for a ruling, but I'm OK with it being deemed invalid if it is.

Sorry about the confusion on my part guys. o:)

@SoTex said:
    Just realized, I dropped JaMychal Green earlier this off-season while prepping for the auctions. I know what the in-season rule is for not bidding on a player who's been dropped...but does that apply here as well? I put a bid on Green this morning, but I'm OK if a ruling is made that this is in invalid bid due to the fact I bought him out earlier. Let me know.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I think it IS invalid. But I don't want to go screwing with deleting it from the auction thread and compromising the auction any more. I simply forgot that I was the one who waived Green at the beginning of the off-season. Again, I'll wait for a ruling, but I'm OK with it being deemed invalid if it is.

Sorry about the confusion on my part guys. o:)

Yes, you can't bid on guys the same season you dropped them, so your Green bid is invalid.

• KiireKiire Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 182
    edited September 30

Agree on the Green ruling, my bad my loss. About my offer was illegal. Somehow I thought about 5.5 as BYS :)
    must be weekend.

nykos 2:49PM
    Good DR old habits!

And congrats to you Nykos on a new habit - finishing ahead of me! First time you've done it in 4yrs! :-)

-DR

Its a shame that I win with a math error ...:

• TheRobSaysTheRobSays Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 401

When do we start adding players onto our Yahoo rosters? I cant remember if we do this ourselves or not.

@TheRobSays said:
    When do we start adding players onto our Yahoo rosters? I cant remember if we do this ourselves or not.

I handle it, and it will be done after free agency is complete, so probably late this weekend or early next week.

@nykos said:
    Its a shame that I win with a math error ...:

It was supposed to be 3.77, not 3.6! I hang my head in shame.

And let it be noted that, had I not bid last minute, someone else (or me) would likely have noticed the error in time for me to rebid before the clock ran out... so my (old/bad) habit of last minute bidding is actually a big part of the reason you won the auction at that price and cost me the opportunity to fix my bid...

Rosters have been updated on yahoo. If you are missing players moving forward, please add them to your team as you win them. If you are missing players otherwise, it's because you need to cut down to 16 players before the first NBA game. From here on out, it's your responsibility to add drop players.

@DaRuhl said:
    Thanks DV!!!

You're welcome. Also, I noticed Courtney Lee is a free agent that wasn't on the schedule but should've been, so I added him.