Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

The Fantasy Basketball Cafe Response Team is coming back for the rest of the season. If you are interested in helping our community grow by interacting with our members, providing quality feedback and getting more involved, direct message "DailyFantasyCafe" for details.

2016-2017 rules discussion

2»

Comments

• salvadorsalvador Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 75

Can we establish it first that BYS is it the 1st year or the lowest? Anyway, good discussion so-tex. If rockchalk started 9.6M, my 1M bid increment would really be valid.

• DaRuhlDaRuhl Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 422

Posted on the other thread, but I believe BYS is definitely intended to be first year. Not explicitly stated though.

Agree with it being a good example. And will pick a small nit and point out that if rockchalk's bid was reversed (starting with 9.6), it would be illegal because of increases of more than 10% (unless he hard Bird rights). FWIW - doesn't change your point.

• SoTexSoTex Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 158

BYS is, and has ALWAYS BEEN, the first year, or only year, of a contract. It's not specifically stated, but it IS inferred in the rules...go back and read section 3.2 on Veteran Contracts. It even has examples, where you can SEE what the BYS is.

And you are right regarding the % increases needing to be 10%...so in that example, it would have been different numbers for years two and three, unless he had Bird's Rights.

• CapCap Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 733

When can we start putting our own players up for auction? I believe we are just finishing up the final 4-6 on the spreadsheet, so can we start nominating our own guys now?

Also, if everyone could please pick up all their players in Yahoo so the pool is updated that would be great. Thanks, and good auctioning!

Hey guys, thanks for organizing everything around here. I know we're leaving it up to owners to add their own players on Yahoo, but is there any way one of the commish's could do this? Some teams aren't as active as others so it could be a while before the players pool is up to date, and I really need to know what players are still available ASAP.

• daseindasein Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 937

BYS = Base Year Salary = 1st year salary. Pretty sure that is defined somewhere.

Yes, commishs could add players but it's a very manual process that takes something like 3 or 4 steps to add each player. I will not be doing this.

• DVauthrinDVauthrin Member, League - Bonanza Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 774

The FA pool on yahoo should be pretty accurate. Only two teams hadn't inputted their rosters so I quickly did those.

• salvadorsalvador Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 75

Question: Can a team still make bids if he has the cap space BUT already have 16 players signed on his team?

• jb510jb510 Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 107

Earlier in the thread:

@DVauthrin said:

@rockchalk said:
    Is max roster size 16? According to the spreadsheet, @dasein currently has 17 players.

Is it just 16 by the time the season starts? Or is max 16 at all times?

You can go above 16 in the offseason. Think of it like training camp. Before the first regular season NBA game is played, you can bring as many guys into camp that you want,but once the real games start, rosters have to be cut to 15(in our case it's 16)

• DVauthrinDVauthrin Member, League - Bonanza Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 774

@salvador said:
    Question: Can a team still make bids if he has the cap space BUT already have 16 players signed on his team?

It's not specified in the rules, but in the offseason you can go above 16, as long as you are within the cap. But you will have to trade or cut guys to get to 16 before the season starts.

Can you bid on players during the season if you have 16 players? Or do you have to cut someone and then bid? You won't know if the player you are bidding on will get on your roster until the auction closes.

edited October 2016

Nevermind. Just found the answer in the rules. You can bid.

@jb510 said:
    Can you bid on players during the season if you have 16 players? Or do you have to cut someone and then bid? You won't know if the player you are bidding on will get on your roster until the auction closes.

You can bid and then cut after you win a player.

Dellavedova auction:

It was deleted as I own him, and he never should've been auctioned in the first place.

• neocacheneocache Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 11

Hey guys... So the hawks have waived Jarrett Jack. Can you guys help me understand the implications of this in regards to league rules. Just want to make sure I'm not violating anything.

I only have 12 guys on my rosters, including Jack. I think I read somewhere minimum rosters are 12. Is that correct? If so, with Jack being waived in real life, am I currently in violation of that minimum roster size rule?

I guess I could drop him and his 4.1 salary. That would give me 1.025 to add someone

Minimum roster size is 11. So you are fine no matter what. If you waive Jack today, you would have 3.07M in cap space as the season doesn't officially start until the first regular season game is played, so you can exercise the partially guaranteed option to buy him out for only 25% of his salary. Tomorrow, you have to pay 75% of his salary if you waive him.

• neocacheneocache Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 11

oh... i forgot about the offseason buyout option. thank you.

Can we change the 1 day pick up time period to immediate adds? If we're trying to mimic the NBA then when a team officially add/drops someome they are immediately on or off the roster so it should be the same for us, no?

edited November 2016

@Cap said:
    Can we change the 1 day pick up time period to immediate adds? If we're trying to mimic the NBA then when a team officially add/drops someome they are immediately on or off the roster so it should be the same for us, no?

There's nothing preventing immediate adds right now, so no need to change the rule. The rule is just there so no one else is confused if the player is available because the winning owner neglected to add them. You can add your player as soon as the 48 hours is up, you just can't win a player and let them sit in FA as long as you want.

And considering everyone in the league has a life outside of fantasy basketball, expecting someone to immediately add a player right after 48 hours is up is not realistic.

I'm not talking about being able to add a player, I'm talking about the next-day rostering. You should be able to add a guy and get him into your lineup the same day, why should we have to wait until tomorrow when NBA teams can play a guy the same day?

Because Yahoo doesn't function that way with add/drops and the commissioners are not going to manually switch rosters for a specific day.

Yeah, you can change it to immediate adds, I'm pretty sure.

@Cap said:
    Yeah, you can change it to immediate adds, I'm pretty sure.

You are correct that you can, but only when the league is created on Yahoo, I just checked. So it will stay the way it is this season and if we want to change it, it can be done for next season.

Sounds good, makes sense to me.

When is the deadline to buyout a multiyear contract and take the entire cap hit this year?

• RocketDWMRocketDWM Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 189

I believe last day of regular season

• rockchalkrockchalk Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 148

Has this been confirmed? Is last day of fantasy regular season? Or real NBA regular season?

• daseindasein Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 937

Don't know that it's written in the rules for this league but you can drop anytime during our fantasy season. Can place bids for multi year contracts after the trade deadline though. Once our playoffs end we're in off-season mode.

Can't bid multi year contracts after deadline sorry.

• rockchalkrockchalk Member, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 148

Can I still buyout contracts for the current season? To me, playoffs are considered part of the current season.

@rockchalk said:
    Can I still buyout contracts for the current season? To me, playoffs are considered part of the current season.

Yes