Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online2

jasonuoft
jasonuoft
Kiire
Kiire
The Fantasy Basketball Cafe Response Team is coming back for the rest of the season. If you are interested in helping our community grow by interacting with our members, providing quality feedback and getting more involved, direct message "DailyFantasyCafe" for details.

2016 - 2017 Draft Discussion

lilstinkylynxlilstinkylynx Member, Commish - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 452

Please post draft discussion here.

Comments

• lilstinkylynxlilstinkylynx Member, Commish - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 452
    edited September 2016

My posts and analysis won't be as lengthy this season but here are my thoughts so far. The Top 6 Teams IMO

1. @bricks took over a very stacked team and I think his decision to keep Rubio over Drummond was simply the best move he could have done for his team in a roto format. It squarely places his team as the team to beat this year. Drummond (although a complete Beast) is just to deficient in one cat and really makes it nearly impossible to make up for it through the draft (especially in a keeper format) where most of the high volume FT shooters are usually off the board.

2. From an efficiency standpoint, @DaRuhl team takes the award. Literally his team is the only one where he starts the draft ahead in every category that I can imagine and no negatives to point out (TO's included.) This sets him up extremely well to compete and draft BPA without stressing too much on needs. Quite a luxury and this squarely puts him as the second best team IMO

3. Again, from an efficiency standpoint, even with the pick up of Cousins, I would venture to say that @dasein has the second most efficient team. His savvy trades have landed him some quality players and I feel this is the season he can legitimately say that he will be able to compete for a win in this league.

4. My team falls along my rankings as tied as the third best team. I have some monster players but my last two keepers come with so many question marks that it really drags my team down depending on how things shake out. Not to mention, Hassan can go bonkers in a bad way at any moment (My team is really built around him as the main core guy). I'm not sure I'll be in a position to hoist my 4th trophy.

5. @tek has been rebuilding his team for some time now and by landing KAT last season, his team rebuild just went that much faster into competitive zone. Not sure where he will go in the draft (draft young w/ potential or go for win now mode) but he's definitely revamped his core to being among the elite in this league of ours.

6. The final team was hard to choose (but if I had to)... I think I would give it to @Phil_OPastry He has revamped his shitty team when he took over and made it into a quick contender. Savvy strategy and a dumping of a few players has moved his core to a more Roto friendly point. Add that to the huge number of picks he gathers each season, he is in a nice place. (I, on the other hand, lose all my draft picks each season... Sigh)

• Phil_OPastryPhil_OPastry Member, League - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 356

My whole team's hopes are hinged on Jokic not being an one season wonder, oh and everyone on my team improving. :/

I think the defending 2, (or is it 3 ?) time repeating champ is still the one to beat. Westbrook, aside from turnovers should be the number 1 fantasy player those session.

@Phil_OPastry said:
    My whole team's hopes are hinged on Jokic not being an one season wonder, oh and everyone on my team improving. :/

I think the defending 2, (or is it 3 ?) time repeating champ is still the one to beat. Westbrook, aside from turnovers should be the number 1 fantasy player those session.

3... But that's all in the past.

• TekTek Member, League - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 77

A comment on the Rubio over Drummond decision.

Rubio is definitely a lock to give you elite asts if playing over 30 mins, especially on such a talented team.

That said, ever since I drafted KAT I've been following Minnesota situation and really looking at their team closely, it appears Rubio is in for sub par season.
    I say that because now that Dunn is in the picture, they are heading towards a time share and those situations rarely last for long.
    If Rubio & Dunn can play together, which IDK is going to work, you still have recent Summer league MVP, Tyus Jones who is hungry for mins at PG and Lavine plays back up PG. Oh ya, let's add in Wiggins for some mins at SG. Playing time is tight for guards.

Also bigger picture, Min has 5 Centers and I'm certain they are making a trade sometime before deadline.
    Rubio is at risk of being traded imo.

• daseindasein Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 973

Nice catch on the efficiency thing. My team was very efficient last year, but that didn't translate into roto points because a number of teams did not max out their games played. Consequently I thought if anyone is in a position to absorb Boogie's bad in exchange for his good it would be me. Phil kind of needed to go in the opposite direction so I think it worked out well for us both.

Seeing one of your players get thrown back and drafted so early really makes you think about whether you should have kept him instead of another player. Sigh...

Tell me about it!

Wondering if you were a bit weary of pulling the trigger with that pick considering all the new additions to the team and playing time and such. @bricks

• bricksbricks Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Heroes Keeper League, League - Philippine All-Star League Posts: 124

torn between two players. it would have been easier without Biyombo =)

• daseindasein Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Salary Cap League Posts: 973

A lot of shad got thrown my way in trade discussions regarding the value of Valanciunas and Vucevic. And yet here we are half way through the first round and they are both gone. ;)

edited September 2016

6th round is a pretty fair target for JV, depends how you think his season will play out. Vuc feels early tho...

@tonym said:
    1.9 Darren Collison

Never saw that coming... :o

• wesbaedkewesbaedke Member, Commish - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 137

@lilstinkylynx said:

@tonym said:
    1.9 Darren Collison

Never saw that coming... :o

Yeah...especially with the potential suspension that will take him out until December.

There's my one swing for the fences pick.

Was hoping to make my first draft pick this weekend. Sucks not having a first rOund pick. Lol

Yeah, but it got you Noah last year so it was worth it. :p

@dasein said:
    Yeah, but it got you Noah last year so it was worth it. :p

You forgot to mention Conley and a trophy. Lol

Eh. I don't remember any of that

Just three more picks to go. Life is so cruel...

Ha! Same first pick as last year.

That probably means it wasn't a great pick last year. Hopefully it'll work out better this time around.

edited September 2016

Not going to lie... I really wanted to make a sexier pick than Jae Crowder, but he does seem to be roto gold.

Solid roto gold is always sexy IMO

edited September 2016

@dasein said:
    Ha! Same first pick as last year.

That probably means it wasn't a great pick last year. Hopefully it'll work out better this time around.

Haha. Well, I picked the guy I wanted last year with my first pick but he got swiped one pick before me. Since he's back in the pool and dropped a whole round lower this time around... I'm also hoping it turns out better this time around.

With that said, I'm a big percentages guy when I draft. I like to shore up those cats as best I can early. Gallo kind of fell into that train of thought for me. He's one of the last (if not the last) high volume FT shooters with a great +++ impact. Gives me some leeway for the latter portion of the draft where all players have some sort of deficiency.

Is durability not a deficiency ? lol
    Hope Gallo pans out for you, he's def a high reward/high risk choice

edited September 2016

@Tek said:
    Is durability not a deficiency ? lol
    Hope Gallo pans out for you, he's def a high reward/high risk choice

Haha. True that. Maybe he bucks the trend finally. He has a player option this year... so money can be had for him if he can prove he is healthy and puts up his regular numbers.

Hi guys, sorry to hold up the draft. Been out and am beat. Will make my pick in the morning when I have a clear head. Am accepting offers too.

@Phil_OPastry said:
    Hi guys, sorry to hold up the draft. Been out and am beat. Will make my pick in the morning when I have a clear head. Am accepting offers too.

Well, you have till 2:34 pm to make your pick today. @boyet401 will be able to make his pick then if you haven't picked yet.

@boyet401 said:
    2.8 Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Like the kid and really thinking he will be allowed to play as much as he can handle but I would think this pick would make more sense at least one round away from where he was taken. Good value IMO regardless.

BTW... way to speed up the draft guys. LOL

Reminder to please msg managers even if they are "online".
    I use alerts on my phone but did not receive msgs on either end of my turns.

@Tek said:
    Reminder to please msg managers even if they are "online".
    I use alerts on my phone but did not receive msgs on either end of my turns.

Yes. Please do message (not wall post especially) letting the next manager know you have picked and they are up.

• wesbaedkewesbaedke Member, Commish - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 137

My bad Tek...I thought I sent you a msg but guess it didn't go thru.

So how does it feel to fill out your 10 man starting roster already @Phil_OPastry ?

It doesn't feel bad. Guess I'll just draft the best remaining players with my remaining picks and trade them for picks in next year's draft. >:)

Linsanity will return!!! (along with mad TOs)

@dasein said:
    3.10 Rodney Hood

BTW, great pick. I was all over wanting to get him if he fell. He would be monster if he was on a different team, but he is capped by the crazy depth on that Utah Team. Wouldn't want to face Utah in the playoffs.

Was pleased he was there also. Has some keeper potential I think.

• DaRuhlDaRuhl Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 481

Would have liked to see Hood coming back to me, didn't happen!

edited September 2016

My thoughts on round 1.
    Typically it's hard to go wrong in the first round. Kudos to @baller for going Ingram - out of him and Simmons I think Ingram's game will be way more roto friendly, whilst Simmons is the better gamble for head to head.

I liked both the Gasol picks by @DaRuhl and @jasonuoft - great value with top 20 upside.

@boyet401 I was really surprised by the Buddy Hield pick 5th overall. I felt he'd be drafted much later (8th - 10th round type later)

@tonym was surprised by the Darren "Domestic" Collison pick - but if he gets starter minutes following his inevitable suspension then it could give you a decent return.

My picks were pretty straight forward. I needed a point guard and thought teague was the best available - I think playing in his hometown and at the breakneck speed and pace Larry Legend wants he should do well. Drafted Booker because I think the kid has superstar potential and he might end up being a keeper.

• bricksbricks Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, Commish - Heroes Keeper League, League - Philippine All-Star League Posts: 124

agree, the Gasol picks were good value.

edited September 2016

Although I think Ingram will be the better fantasy player in the end, I think @baller7037 was better suited to go with Simmons. Obviously he doesn't need the assists on his 10 PG rostered team, but if you are planning on keeping DeAndre, then Simmons fits that punt build to a tee and his value actually jumps. Ingrams eventual good percentages as a shooter gets lost on @baller7037 roster. I'm not sure where @baller7037 is going with his team but at some point you have to stop rebuilding and try to compete even if that means you go against the norm and try a punt ft strategy in roto. If anything, now is the best time to try that strategy because there are so many guys who can't shoot ft for ish and their value jumps for fantasy purposes when you punt.

• DaRuhlDaRuhl Member, League - Heroes Keeper League, League - Salary Cap League Posts: 481

I like that Jonas pick and otto porter as well - I thought about porter instead of Fournier earlier in the round...

• jasonuoftjasonuoft Member, League - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 120

I was super excited to reunite Gasol bros on my team after 3 years, until DaRuhl snatched Marc, how sad!

edited September 2016

@DaRuhl said:
    I like that Jonas pick and otto porter as well - I thought about porter instead of Fournier earlier in the round...

I like the Fournier pick and was hoping he'd fall to me. Him and Vooch will be the top scorers in Orlando quite easily. He's super efficient too.

edited September 2016

I think Ingram will be the better fantasy player in the end

Obviously, I may be biased but I don't feel that theory at all.

they both have a top 10 potential but Simmons ability to provide across the board in all categories, including the hard to come by stats and from out of position? Too valuable.

His only weaknesses are likely FT% , TO's and 3's and without doubt, he will improve in each cat over the years.
    Most players do and he's been working on his 3 point shot since last Nov.
    Whereas I don't see Ingram developing into a passer, he doesn't steal very much either and I don't think that changes a lot in the future.

I'd also like to remind everyone that Lebron made .08 3's in his rookie season on .290%.
    I feel like Simmons can easily attempt 2.0 a game and will probably be comparable %.

edited September 2016

I don't disagree w/ what you stated @Tek but I feel that even w/ Lebron as a top player you always had to build or compensate for something when building a roto team. Ingram has less issues in that department IMO. I think for that reason I prefer him as a fantasy asset.

But common... beyond the Simmons and Ingram argument which is clearly preference... 10 PGs!!!!?????

I dunno about Ingram. He's probably got a high floor, but my confidence that he'll be a star is not high. I wonder if he would have got as much buzz if it were a stronger draft. Pelton described him as a longer Khris Middleton, which sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I tend to agree with Tek that Simmons' strengths are not teachable and his flaws are all very fixable. He's no LeBron but he clearly has star potential if he can get it together. I also trust the Sixers infrastructure more than the Lakers as weird as that sounds.

Bradley Beal - so good you gotta draft him twice :p

@dasein said:
    Bradley Beal - so good you gotta draft him twice :p

LOL. Hilarious

• ddomrowddomrow Member, League - Heroes Keeper League Posts: 52
This discussion has been closed.